India Visa Information
All foreign nationals, including children, require a visa to enter India. You can now apply for single and multiple entry electronic tourist visas (valid from 30 days to 5 years). Please review the information below on the various options available.
India Electronic Tourist Visa (eTV)
Who needs to apply?
Applicants from many countries including the UK, USA, Canada, Australia and most EU countries can now apply for an Indian eTV.
In order to apply for your eTV, you will require the following;
- scanned copy of the photograph page of your passport (PDF)
- scanned copy of a passport photo (JPEG, dimensions are 50mm x 50mm, which is larger than standard passport photos)
- scanned copy of your passport in PDF format (must be valid for a minimum of 190 days with at least two blank pages)
- a reference name and address in India (this will usually be the hotel where you are staying on your first night). UK citizens are also required to enter a reference name and address in the UK.
The visa fee varies depending on nationality and duration. The current charges for most nationalities are:
- 30 days e-TV (Apr - Jun): USD 10
- 30 days e-TV (Jul - Mar): USD 25
- 1 year e-TV: USD 40
- 5 year e-TV: USD 80
For a full list of the eligible countries and visa fees, please click here.
Payment should be made by debit or credit card (charge of 2.5% may apply).
The estimated processing time for the eTV is 2 working days and will be emailed to you. You must print and show this to immigration on arrival in India.
This eTV is only valid for arrival at the following airports: Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Bagdogra, Bengaluru, Bhubaneshwar, Calicut, Chennai, Chandigarh, Cochin, Coimbatore, Delhi, Gaya, Goa, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Madurai, Mangalore, Mumbai, Nagpur, Port Blair, Pune, Tiruchirapalli, Trivandrum, Varanasi and Vishakhapatnam.
The following seaports also accept the eTV: Cochin, Goa, Mangalore, Mumbai and Chennai.
Restricted Area Permits
In addition to an India visa you will also require a Restricted Area Permit for other regions in North East India, Ladakh and Sikkim.
Travel The Unknown will organise these for you as part of your package, so you do not need to apply for these yourself.
All information is correct at the current time. Visa rules, conditions and fees are always subject to change, therefore, for up-to-date information, please also consult the official Indian Government's website and/or the official VFS website for more information.